Tuesday, October 25, 2011

exit 57 off highway 10 Misissippi

MOBIL across the causeway

The Shed

In and Out doors at the Shed

Andrea and Lily under a ceiling of rope lights, forks and dollar bills with messages on them.

Lily adds here fork n dollar to the Shed

The stage area is directly behind white sign board. A mixture of tables and chairs litter the space.

The Shed out door bar.
The approach to Mobil, Alabama is unique. You come in on a causeway the hoovers over open water, bayous, marshes and swampy stuff. The view to the city is similar to Dorothy's first spotting of the Emerald City in the far off distance. It is a nice ride just in the air with the city slowly growing in scale. Mobil was a city that I had never really thought about but I now have a visual experience that I will hold on to.
We crossed the boarder into Mississippi and were ready for lunch and gas. We pulled off at exit 57 and just a bit off the road we saw a sign for a barbecue place called the Shed. I gassed up and Andrea and Lily went to see if there really was a place behind the battered, rippled aluminum fence. They came and got me and were smiling a good smile. I parked the rv and walked into a confusing jumble of stuff. I found two doors under a canopy festooned with things and many feet of rope lights. I went into the IN door and found a really great Bar - restaurant - and outdoor blues venue. This is my only experience with rope lights were I thought they were perfect. We ordered Brisket - smokey links - ribs - coleslaw - baked beans and potato salad and we were a happy crew.  The Brisket fell apart and wasn't over sauced. The beans were long baked and the slaw had more vinegar than sweet. All in all a great experience in a pretty cool place.
The ceiling is covered with dollar bills that are held up by being stabbed with a fork into foam board.
The place reminded me of The Bird House just out side of Anchorage, Alaska. My Friend Debra Brown brought me there. The place had a dirt floor section with the ceiling covered in underwear, bras and dollar bills. The exterior is gravel, cobbled together tables and a stage that must have been condemned  right after the Korean War. The place is great and a perfect place for the Ray Johnston Band to play.
 We arrived in New Orleans and are planning to forage for food along Magazine street. Tomorrow night the 3 Muses ( thanks RJ.)

No comments:

Post a Comment