Monday, October 10, 2011

Don't be fooled by the scenery.


The drive on 95 north through New Jersey and New York is Godzilla scale crap! Those roads can do physical damage to the inhabitants of an RV. When we hit Massachusetts the smooth and well kept asphalt welcomed us.  After a long day of bad roads and traffic jams we arrived at our Groton campground. The place is on the grounds of an old plantation and the vibe from the moment we entered was STEPFORD! As a white guy in a white family, I get to point out when white can be creepy. This place has the creep factor big time. I am reminded of 1970 when I moved to Minneapolis to teach. The first thing that I found was what I thought were biting fruit flies. I had just met the Minnesota state bird, the Mosquito. Within a few days I started to realize that there were lots of white people but not so many brown, black or Yellow. When I went to the State Fair         (biggest in America) one of the first food booths I saw was “ HOT DAGOS” I mentioned to my host that if this booth was in New York or San Francsico it would be fire bombed in minutes.  I was born and raised in the bay area and the full rainbow of color was ever present. I really thought every place was like this?
Today we took the rv for a spin into Mystic Seaport and the village of Stonington. These places are all on the national register of postcards. They are beautiful, clean and perfect. The Mystic draw Bridge had NO RUST on it. None! Each rivet was attended to. You can tell that there is some white glove inspector that does the entire bridge. In between the two villages we stopped at the  “Big Y world class Market” and under the name was the tagline “ American Owned “ That kind of told us right where we were.
Today the Atlantic waves were more like lake waves, I understand that when there is a NOR EASTR that it gets hairy but today there were only sissy waves.
The area is kinda Disneyesque, seductive and omenness.
Tomorrow we head Through Road Island and up to Truro, Mass.
Mom's cookies were pretty good.

I agree with this completely

There are similarities to the Left O Doul bridge over McOvey Cove but you can eat off of this one.

I love late 19th century engineering.

Postcard Stonington

Lily gets in touch with Cousin It.



No comments:

Post a Comment